Wilson Fluency® | Basic
Explicit fluency instruction that supplements your reading curriculum.
Developing Decoding Skills With Connected Text
Students who struggle to read fluently need a lot of practice. Wilson Fluency® | Basic supplements your reading curriculum by providing additional reading practice with explicit fluency instruction. This program provides emerging readers with fluency practice at a student’s instructional reading level. It is appropriate for both younger students with beginning reading skills or for older students who are not reading fluently due to decoding deficits.
- Phonetic and high frequency word practice to improve accuracy and automaticity
- Controlled, short phrases with taught-word patterns and high frequency/sight words
- Longer phrases, presented in meaningful chunks to develop prosody, containing both taught and untaught elements
- Practice with a phrased version of a story followed by the unphrased passage to further develop phrasing and expression
- Comprehension instruction incorporated from the beginning, with students asked to retell each story to monitor comprehension
- Practice with enriched and decodable passages to enhance listening and reading comprehension, and vocabulary
- Non-controlled, decodable passages in the Basic Reader to help students begin to transfer their emerging decoding skills to reading authentic text with support and success
- Assessment tools to measure student rate, accuracy, and prosody are provided for each text
- Detailed instructions to allow teachers to measure student fluency levels in words correct per minute (WCPM), and prosody using the four-level scoring rubric developed by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Laminated Tally Sheets and Student Recording Forms to make it easy to monitor student progress
- Student Fluency Readers for students to graph their own progress
Wilson Reading System® Overview
Brush up on Wilson Reading System® — who it’s for, what it’s about, and how to implement it.
Wilson Reading System® Curriculum
Familiarize yourself with the skills and concepts of the Wilson Reading System®.
Wilson Reading System® Implementation
Learn how to identify students appropriate for Wilson Reading System® and how to implement it successfully in your classroom.