Location: St Louis, MO
Trainer: Susan Howison
Fundations Level 1 Workshop
The Fundations Level 1 Workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Fundations Level 1 curriculum in a Tier 1 setting.
Upon completion of the course, participants are able to:
- Grasp the background knowledge and understand the research base supporting the why and how of Fundations instruction.
- Identify the skills taught in Fundations Level 1: phonemic awareness; the alphabetic principle; sound mastery; ways to form the key linkages—letter name, formation, and the sound represented by the letter(s); vocabulary; high frequency/trick words; fluency; comprehension strategies; manuscript handwriting, spelling, and punctuation.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities with multisensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
- Prepare a daily Level 1 learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Build a learning-focused classroom by maximizing instructional time, learning lesson activities, using questioning to guide student learning and mastery, and encouraging craftsmanship for optimum outcomes.
One full day (5 hours)