The Teacher’s Kit includes the following materials:
- The Instructor Manual provides daily support for teachers with easy-to-follow instructions and day-by-day learning plans. It includes controlled text resources for each of the 14 units. Two bonus units are also incorporated into the manual. Membership to the online Wilson Academy/Just Words® Learning Community is included with the manual at no charge.
- Sound Cards are used to drill sounds and teach word structure by manipulating word parts. Sound combinations, consonant, and vowel phonemes are printed on one side; keywords and pronunciations are on the reverse.
- Word Cards are flashcards that contain Demonstration Words, Nonsense Words, and Prefixes/Roots. Demonstration words include a student-friendly definition on the back. Prefix and Latin Root cards have a definition and keyword illustration on the back.
- High Frequency Word Cards are flashcards of high frequency and irregular words for reading and spelling practice. Words with irregular patterns or untaught word patterns are taught to be recognized and spelled quickly and easily.
- Suffix and Syllable Frames are dry-erasable, magnetic frames for demonstrating and practicing multisyllabic words and words with suffixes. Twenty yellow suffix frames and four blank, white syllable frames are included.
- The Student Challenge Phrase Kit are laminated tally sheets for teachers to easily track miscues while a student is reading phrases and stories for charting and monitoring progress in each unit.
- The Digital Timer is used for charting, Just Start!, and Progress Check activities.
- The Reference Charts are eight posters (Basic Keywords, Welded Sounds, Mark My Words, Vowel Sounds, R-Controlled Vowels, Vowel Teams, Spelling Options, and Syllable Types) for classroom reference. They are assembled in a portable, desktop flip chart.
- Magnetic Strips may be affixed to media for easy manipulation on ferrous surfaces. Precut adhesive pieces offer easy application.
- One Just Words Student Kit is also included.
For more information about specific instructor materials, please see our online store.
Each student needs their own set of durable and consumable materials. In subsequent years of implementation, only student consumables need to be repurchased.
Just Words Student Durables
- Students use a Dry Erase Tablet for dictation activities. Syllable frames are used to build multisyllabic words with Letter Tiles.
- Students also use a Magnetic Journal with Letter Tiles to practice manipulating word parts for spelling activities.
Just Words Student Consumables
- The Student Notebook is a reference tool for students to use throughout the course.
- A Student Composition Book is used for dictation activities, including sounds, words (review, nonsense, high frequency, and current), phrases and sentences.
- The Student Challenge Book includes student practice for each unit, including Progress Check, Practice with Current Concepts, Phrase It – Practice Worksheets, Phrases for Charting, and a Unit Test Dictation Page.
- The Quick Reference Guide provides students with a fast, convenient reference for concepts taught and reinforced, including Vowel Sounds (with illustrations), R-Controlled Vowels (with illustrations), Vowel Teams (with illustrations), Mark My Words, Syllable Types, and Spelling Options.
- The Wilson Blue and Red Pen is provided for students to graph their progress.
For more information about specific materials, please see our online store.