Wilson Reading System
The Wilson Reading System® (WRS) is the flagship program of Wilson Language Training® and the foundation of all other Wilson programs. WRS is an intensive Tier 3 program for students in grades 2-12 and adults with word-level deficits who are not making sufficient progress through their current intervention; have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies and require multisensory language instruction; or who require more intensive structured literacy instruction due to a language-based learning disability, such as dyslexia.
As a structured literacy program based on phonological-coding research and Orton-Gillingham principles, WRS directly and systematically teaches the structure of the English language. Through the program, students learn fluent decoding and encoding skills to the level of mastery. From the beginning Steps of the program, students receive instruction in:
- Word structure, in depth, for automatic decoding and spelling
- Word recognition and spelling of high frequency words, including irregular words
- Vocabulary, word understanding, and word-learning skills
- Sentence-level text reading with ease, expression, and understanding
- Listening comprehension with age-appropriate narrative and informational text
- Reading comprehension with narrative and expository text of increasing levels of difficulty
- Narrative and informational text structures
- Organization of information for oral or written expression
- Proofreading skills
- Self-monitoring for word recognition accuracy and comprehension
We are very pleased to announce the publication of the Wilson Reading System 4th Edition! The key characteristics of the WRS program remain, with many new enhancements included. To learn more, please visit our 4th Edition page.
Wilson Language Training has an ongoing commitment to high-quality implementation and professional learning. WRS certification programs support an in-depth understanding of language structure and mastery of multisensory and diagnostic instructional techniques. As a result, teachers are able to utilize the WRS program with fidelity, thereby accelerating and optimizing students’ reading achievement.
Learn more on our Recognitions & Affiliations page.
- Wilson Academy®/Intensive Learning Community (online)
- Program workshop and instructor-led courses
- In-person and online courses on intensive instruction, basic word study, and advanced word study
- WRS Level I and II Certification with practicum observations and implementation seminars
- Sustainability plans